Wednesday, January 16, 2013

No Baste Chicken



It there anything worse than working hard to find a REAL chicken from a happy farm, only to destroy it by some method rendering chewy chicken? Those  birds are not cheap and it's just plain wrong to waste a life. The last few birds I got failed and ended up in the stock pot (ok not a complete waste but all that meat!). I almost swore it off entirely until I found this recipe at epicurious.

I felt skeptical yet if it's so different from anything I've already done it must be worth a try. It came out with crispy flavorful skin and juicy meat.

Here's the simple instructions in non-chef speak

  • Rinse your whole bird
  • Dry it all the way
  • salt and pepper inside the chicken hole
  • Tie it's arms and legs up (called trussing)
  • With breast up salt the skin
  • Cook 45-65 minutes 450Degrees
Also thyme is good sprinkled on the bird!

Safety note- When you start to hear some pop and sizzle about 15 minutes before finished, put a sheet of tin foil loosely above it or else you will have a fire alarm problem and you might burn your eyeballs when you try to remove the bird at the  end.

A whole bird's a great way to afford farm fresh rather than foster farms so I'm so happy to learn how to really do it justice.

Next blog will be a journey into my Brothel where I'll show you how to make stock.





No comments:

Post a Comment