Friday, January 11, 2013

Welcome to Economic Resilience!

The economic and political climate of the past 5 years have created a sense of insecurity over our future ability to meet our basic needs. Combined with reports our oil supply might not support our future needs, the insecurity grows.

I hope this blog can alleviate fears and provide hope that even if everything in our giant system fails- if the dollar crashes, if oil runs out, if GMO crops infect all grocery store foods- we will survive it. Not by stockpiling reserves in a bunker to go underground and "wait it out" but by cultivating skills, connections, and local economic systems that create personal and community resilience.

Something people are relearning, is that the land is the source of all we need. It was a personal aha moment when I learned that a manzanita tree provides at least three different remedies to our ailments while also providing food and the hottest burning wood in California, or that vegetables and livestock used to always be on the same farm fulfilling eachothers needs. I grew up having no clue about the relationship of my dinner plate to its source.

For people like me who could only imagine food coming from grocery stores the thought of a collapsed dollar could be terrifying- If I can't BUY food how will I eat?

If I do this blog right, expect to learn the answer to that question. I will explore what the wild has to offer, the food forest your suburban lawn can become, and traditional techniques for preserving your harvest while maximizing the nutrient value of your food. But the deeper motivation is to share a sense of hope. We are going to be ok and if not- we'll have had a great time trying.

2 comments:

  1. I’m very much looking forward to your future posts on this blog. I particularly agree with this: “Not by stockpiling reserves in a bunker to go underground and ‘wait it out’ but by cultivating skills, connections, and local economic systems that create personal and community resilience.”

    Strengthening our communities and working on our ability to sustain ourselves is a much more useful idea than turning one's back to the world and going into hiding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the pleasure of working closely with Benjamin lee for several years as business partners. During the time that Ben served as the Mortgage Representative for my home also for my business financing and he helped me closing off loans which really helped me in my business today, we were consistently far above goal and this can only be attributable to Ben hard work. I appreciate your hard work also big thanks to your team for helping me with a loan to grow my business. If you are looking for a loan in any such kindly contact Mr Ben on  247officedept@gmail.com or talk to him on whatsapp    +1---989-394-3740 . Mr Ben is an honest loan officer working with a huge number of investors willing to finance any project.Thankfully, over time our relationship grew beyond wok and I’m still happy to call him a trusted friend.  

    ReplyDelete